The Shop

The Shop
My name is Jake Rendell. This blog is a description of the various skills and information that I have learned and will learn while studying at Minnesota State Southeast Technical, in the Band Instrument Repair Program. Before coming to study in the BIR Program, I graduated cum laude from Laurentian University with a B.A. Music - Vocal in 2010, and First Class Standing with a B.Ed. I/S Music from Lakehead University in 2011. This final certification from MSC-ST will finish in May of 2012. I will try to update this blog on a weekly basis.

Week One - Aug 22 - 26


The pokers.
This first week has been a flurry of information. I begin my journey in the Brass world. Our first few days consist of a lot of general information, shop safety information, and a test on HMIS. We also began to examine the different parts of the trumpet and the corresponding nomenclature.
My mallet, before modifications.

In the shop side of things, we began to construct various hand tools from raw stock. These include small “pokers”, a steel piston porting tool, and a modified rawhide mallet.


My mallet, after modifications.
A piston porting tool.
Finally, we used these new tools to perform minor maintenance on our methods trumpets. We disassembled our trumpets and gave them a thorough cleaning, then ported the upstroke of each piston. It was a good start. 


Checking the porting of second valve upstroke.

My methods trumpet, disassembled.
My methods trumpet, reassembled.




No comments:

Post a Comment