The Shop

The Shop
My name is Jake Rendell. This blog is a description of the various skills and information that I have learned and will learn while studying at Minnesota State Southeast Technical, in the Band Instrument Repair Program. Before coming to study in the BIR Program, I graduated cum laude from Laurentian University with a B.A. Music - Vocal in 2010, and First Class Standing with a B.Ed. I/S Music from Lakehead University in 2011. This final certification from MSC-ST will finish in May of 2012. I will try to update this blog on a weekly basis.

Week 25 - February 27th - March 2nd

This week was the final week here in the brass lab. It has given me a chance to finish up a few projects. First off, on my project trombone, finished work on my hand slide. I buffed the inside of the outer tubes using a lathe and a small diameter trombone slide mandrel. I also buffed the inner slides with white compound. This has greatly improved the action of the hand slide.


To finish off the handslide, I reinstalled the water key. Unfortunately, the bridge was in the wrong spot. To fix this, I un-soldered the bridge and reattached it. After that, the trombone was cleaned and put back in its case.


 To continuing work on the antique trombone, I had to solder a patch on the outer tube. To do this, I cut a scrap tube to length and cut a slit in it. The tube was annealed and fit around the existing outer.  The patch was soldered on and cleaned up. I removed all of the dents from the bell using a dent machine and re-soldered the bell on as well.


 After the bell was reattached, I began to align and fix the slides. During this, one of the nickel sliver inner tube stockings broke off. I manufactured a new one using a Getzen inner main tuning slide tube, and soldered it on. I finished up the handslide dents and buffed the inners and the inside of the outers.



To finish up the trombone, I had to solder a shim into the taper in order to tighten the friction fit. I polished the entire trombone thoroughly with silver polish, and the trombone was as finished as I can get it. The last step would be to send it to a company in order to touch up the plating. If I can afford it, I may look into that option in the future.


The only other instrument I have on my bench is the Olds Ambassador Cornet. The buffing of the horn was already complete. I removed the lacquer off of the slides and buffed them. Finally, I buffed the caps. Everything is ready to be degreased and lacquered. Unfortunately, the shop is out of lacquer right now, so the lacquer may have to wait for a while.


I've begun working on making tools again. The first set of tools I plan to make is a tonehole leveling set for clarinets. I cut up various sizes of stainless steel rods into 2" shanks that will be shaped into flat, convex and concave ends. When they are finished, I will stick self adhesive sandpaper  to the ends that will be able to perfectly finish toneholes.



No comments:

Post a Comment