The Shop

The Shop
My name is Jake Rendell. This blog is a description of the various skills and information that I have learned and will learn while studying at Minnesota State Southeast Technical, in the Band Instrument Repair Program. Before coming to study in the BIR Program, I graduated cum laude from Laurentian University with a B.A. Music - Vocal in 2010, and First Class Standing with a B.Ed. I/S Music from Lakehead University in 2011. This final certification from MSC-ST will finish in May of 2012. I will try to update this blog on a weekly basis.

Week 26 - March 12th - 16th

 Welcome Back. After a week long break here in Red Wing, we find ourselves back in the Brass Lab for one final day of finishing up projects. So at the beginning of this week, I finally turned my attentions back to the cornet and finished it up for the customer. I began by finishing the buffing on the slides and degreasing the entire horn. The horn got lacquered and ready for assembly.


 As the customer asked for a few other things to be cleaned up on the horn as well. So after I assembled and ported the horn, I quickly polished his mouthpiece and buffed his lyre. All said and done, the horn was ready to head home.



We moved back to the Woodwind Lab early this week and began reviewing some basic skills from last November. We looked at doing play condition repairs on clarinets, such as padding and key corking, and finally worked on flute padding. A good week of review to get our hands back into the game.


No comments:

Post a Comment